Without touring to get in their way, the Beatles spent more time in the recording studio and experimented with different tricks and ways of recording songs. They also went off to Wales to study Transcendental Meditation with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Try your luck with answering these questions about this year.
1. A tragedy occured on August 25, 1967, when a member of the Beatles' inside group died, perhaps of an overdose of sleeping pills, at his home. Who was this man?
a. Mal Evans
b. Brian Epstein
c. Neil Aspinall
2. During this year, the Beatles attended a talk about Transcendental Meditation by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Afterwards, they talked with him and decided to go to a ten-day course on TM in Bangor, Wales. The Maharighi later appeared less 'magical' and 'holy' than he started out to be, so the Beatles left the session. And now the question: what does 'Maharishi', his self-dubbed name, mean?
a. "The great soul"
b. "See all, know all"
c. "I love the Beatles"
3. The Maharishi inspired John to write songs about the guru. John wrote several, and most appeared on the album called The Beatles, better known as the White Album, released in 1968. Changing the words of one of his songs, name the song on the White Album that talks about the Maharishi. Hint: it begins with John playing the piano alone.
4. The "Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane" (or vice versa, as some people prefer) single failed to reach number one because of a certain artist's song. What was the song?
a. "Michelle" - the Beatles
b. "Release Me" - Engelbert Humperdinck
c. "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - the Rolling Stones
5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, a phenomenal album, was released during this year. One track on it was written by Paul back in his teenage years. Name the song.
a. "Lovely Rita"
b. "She's Leaving Home"
c. "When I'm Sixty-Four"
6. George Martin, the Beatles' producer, said he made the "biggest mistake" of his life when he left two certain songs off of the Sgt. Pepper LP to release as a single. What were the two songs?
7. A Lennon song on Sgt. Pepper, "Good Morning Good Morning", boasted an array of animal noises near the end. The lyrics describe a some-what (?) typical morning. A certain commercial was the inspiration for this song. What product was the commercial for?
a. Kellogg's Corn Flakes
b. Cocoa Wheats
c. Quaker Oatmeal
8. LSD? Not really. John's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was very controversial because someone looked at the title of the song and saw that three letters (the ones I capitalized) spell out 'LSD'. Tell the real thing that inspired John to write that song.
9. 'Our World' broadcasted live via satellite the Beatles performing "All You Need Is Love". At the end, John Lennon (yes, it is John) sings a bit of an old Beatles song. What song did he ling a line from?
a. "She Loves You"
b. "I Want To Hold Your Hand"
c. "Love Me Do"
10. One song included on the Magical Mystery Tour album was inspired by a siren outside of the writer's house. Name the song and the composer.
a. "Blue Jay Way" ~George
b. "I Am the Walrus" ~John
c. "Fool on the Hill" ~Paul
Okay, you got through that one! Now it's time for the answers!
You can't get back to my homepage yet, Jojo!
Questions or comments yet? E-mail me about them!
Please DO NOT steal or take or use any of this information here. Go out and read things for yourself. Thank you, and have a nice day! :)